SPIE safe meeting protocols
This page reflects current rules and expectations and will be kept up to date as requirements change.
- SPIE will follow the latest published requirements and safe gathering protocols established in the location where each event occurs
- Among national, state, local, or facility-specific rules or recommendations SPIE will apply the most restrictive of the applicable controls.
- As of April 1, the State of California’s requirement for vaccine verification or proof of negative tests for attendees at indoor events will be lifted and moved to a strong recommendation. View the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) guidelines.
- Safe meetings and reopening FAQs for the San Diego Convention Center
What to expect at SPIE Optics + Photonics
As an event with more than 50 attendees taking place in San Diego, Optics + Photonics will comply with the city's recommendations and requirements noted above.
- Vaccines authorized to prevent COVID-19 by the US FDA or by the World Health Organization (WHO) are strongly recommended for attending this meeting.
- Masks are also strongly recommended for all indoor spaces and for unvaccinated individuals, ages 2 and older.
- Enhanced sanitation measures will be taken throughout the event.
- Masks and hand sanitizers will be widely available.
Find a COVID testing site in San Diego
To find current testing sites near the convention center, use this locator map. Enter the zip code of the San Diego Convention Center – 92101 – to find the closest options.
Learn more about County of San Diego testing
How we can all help
- Wash hands frequently
- Respect the personal space and comfort level of others
- Do not attend if you are not feeling well or if you are currently testing positive for COVID.
Traveling to the United States
For information and travel details, please visit the CDC Guidelines for Travel to and from the United States.
What to expect in San Diego
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination may still be required at some area businesses
- Masks may still be required for indoor activities for unvaccinated individuals, ages 2 and older
- Respect local area mandates and requirements which may include the wearing of masks on public transit, healthcare settings, etc.