Create and print your poster
The most successful posters are graphically rich presentations of your research that highlight and summarize the main points, with the poster presenter filling in the details in person at the session. The least effective poster format is an enlarged copy of your manuscript.
Your poster should include:
- The paper title and all authors at the top of the poster
- A brief introduction, goals, experimental detail, conclusions, and references; presented in a logical and clear sequence
- Explanations for each graph, picture, and table
Size, fonts, and color
- The maximum poster size is 44” x 44” (112cm x 112cm). View the SPIE Poster template
- Use easily read type. Suggested minimum font sizes:
- Title: 36 point type
- List of authors: 25 point type
- Body copy should be double-spaced text: 15 point type
- Choose your colors to provide strong contrast and avoid pairing red and green elements to assist those with red-green color blindness
Print a high-resolution copy of your poster to present onsite (size must not exceed 44" x 44" [112 cm x 112 cm])
Create and submit your poster PDF
Poster presentations can be created in a number of software applications but must be exported to PDF format to submit for publication in the conference proceedings in the SPIE Digital Library. The PDF file size must be less than 100 MB. Avoid uploading multiple versions of your poster PDF. When you finish creating your PDF, check the following:
- Is your poster PDF saved with the .pdf file extension?
- Is your file size less than 100 MB?
- Do all your graphs, pictures, and tables include explanations?
- Is your text color and size easy to read on screen?
- Did you include references?
Submit your poster PDF
Your poster PDF must be received by the deadline, approximately 3 weeks before the meeting. After the submission system opens for presentations and manuscripts, using any web browser, visit https://spie.org/myaccount and sign into your account.
- From the account dashboard, look under "Submission and Review System" and click on the symposium link
- Scroll down until you find your paper
- Click on the upload poster file link to submit your poster PDF and follow the steps to upload your .pdf file
NOTE: The contact author or speaker must be registered before uploading. Only the contact author can submit the poster PDF. The contact author can assign a coauthor as the contact author via the submission system or by sending a request to email@example.com (include your paper number in the message).
Set up your poster in person
- Bring your high-resolution printed poster with you to the meeting (size must not exceed 44" x 44" [112 cm x 112 cm])
- Check the individual conference program to find your poster session location and timing
- Set up your printed poster at least one hour before your session start time on the day you are scheduled to present
- Paper numbers will be placed on the poster boards in numerical order
- Find your paper number and put up your printed poster in the designated space
- Push pins, tape, or Velcro will be provided to hang your poster
Present your poster in person
- Each poster presenter is responsible for printing their poster and bringing it to the meeting. SPIE does not print the posters
- Each poster must have a presenter
- Poster presenters are required to stand by the poster during the scheduled duration of the poster session to answer questions from attendees
- Presenters who have not placed their poster(s) on their assigned board at least 60 minutes prior to the start of the poster session, and attend to it for the duration of the poster session, will be considered a "no show," and their manuscript and poster PDF will not be published in the proceedings on the SPIE Digital Library
- Presenters must remove their printed posters immediately after the poster session
- SPIE assumes no responsibility for the printed posters and will not save posters left hanging after the end of the session.
Publication of your poster
- SPIE will publish and archive all poster PDFs along with the manuscript in the conference proceedings in the SPIE Digital Library
- To qualify for publication, poster PDFs must be received by the advertised due dates, and the printed poster must be presented at the meeting
- SPIE retains rights to distribute and market the published poster PDF; the presenter retains copyright of all presented content