The Society offers a small number of supplemental travel grants to eligible and selected student authors who plan to present and publish an accepted paper at an SPIE meeting.
What does this grant cover?
Each grant is intended to partially reimburse travel expenses (airfare, ground transportation, and/or hotel). Meals and the conference registration fee are not eligible for reimbursement. Grants typically range from $250-$500 USD per domestic traveler and $300-$750 USD per international traveler, but may be less.
Who is eligible?
- You must be a full-time student author in a high school, undergraduate, or graduate program, who will present your accepted paper at an SPIE conference and submit your manuscript to be published in the Proceedings of SPIE.
- You must submit your complete application and a letter of recommendation from your advisor or department head by the deadline.
Who is NOT eligible?
- Postdoctoral students (students who have completed their PhD, ScD, or MD program) are NOT eligible.
- If you have received an SPIE Student Author Travel Grant or Newport Research Excellence Travel Award for any SPIE meeting within the last 12 months, you are NOT eligible.
- If you have received an SPIE Officer Travel Grant this year, or within the last 12 months, you are NOT eligible.
How do I apply?
If you are eligible to apply, and you have received your official acceptance notification email from SPIE, locate the meeting below, click on the application link, and complete your application by the deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
(live after date listed)
|Photonics West 2017 (BiOS, LASE, & OPTO)
|Medical Imaging 2017
|Advanced Lithography 2017
|Smart Structures/NDE 2017
||Apply after 21-Nov
|Defense + Commercial Sensing 2017
||Apply after 13-Dec
||Apply after 3-Jan
|Optics + Optoelectronics
||Apply after 20-Jan-17
||Apply after 18-Feb-17
|Digital Optical Technologies
||Apply after 18-Feb-17
|*Applications no longer being accepted.
How are grant applicants judged?
Applicants are judged on financial need and merit.
When are grant applicants notified?
Grant applicants will be notified approximately two weeks after the application deadline.
How are grant recipients reimbursed?
Grant recipients must collect and submit a copy of their travel receipts for reimbursement within 30 days of the meeting. Reimbursements will be made by check after the meeting. Reimbursements will not exceed the total amount of the submitted receipts.
Questions about the SPIE Student Author Travel Grant?
Contact the SPIE Conference Program Coordinator