I am the director of the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii, responsible for the operation and performance of the observatory with its twin 10-meter optical/infrared telescopes, and for the development of new capabilities.
In the past I have served as Deputy Director of the observatory, responsible for planning and technical activities. Originally I was recruited to lead the software controls efforts in developing the Keck Observatory. Subsequently I took on increasingly responsible position as Associate Director for Engineer, Deputy Director for Engineering, Observatory Deputy Director and ultimately Interim Director.
My business interests are leadership, organizational behavior, finance and entrepreneurship.
My managerial experience is at the executive level in the following areas:
• Ability to craft and execute demanding strategic plans
• Ability to translate broad objectives into actionable plans
• Ability to dynamically manage plans in changing environments
• Ability to form and lead senior management teams
• Ability to shape policy at the highest levels: with Board and Scientific Leadership
• Ability to engage effectively with key stakeholders
• Ability to assess and manage organizational and project risk